Skip to main content

Telling God "why" saved his life....

This is a story of Harold Everett Hughes, governor of Iowa who had been a drunk, a liar and a cheat in his earlier days. Hitting rock bottom, he decided in his shame and despair to commit suicide. However, before trying to kill himself, he felt he had to tell God why. As he sobbed in distress, something miraculous happened. “Like a stricken child lost in the storm, he had suddenly stumbled into the warm arms of His heavenly Father. And as he experienced God’s forgiving grace, he promised “Whatever You ask…I will do it.” That was the beginning of a new life for Harold Huges, a life really worth living. It remained a memorable turning point throughout the remainder of his life, and which led him to deep spiritual commitments. He began to study the Bible diligently, develop his prayer life, and even considered a career in the ministry.

Are you in the same plight as Harold Hughes? Are you struggling through life, feeling defeated and broken that no one can help. Come to God just as you are, by simply opening your hearts in faith to Jesus Christ. God knew your struggles and He is ready to receive you with an open arm. Jesus has given a precious promise to all who believe in Him, the promise of a new life, a life abundant and eternal, a life worth living.

(Story taken from our daily bread)

Comments

  1. Yes, it's always so good to be able to close the door and cry to God and reason with Him - just be yourself and pour out everything to Him. Then be still and wait for Him. Know that He is God - our Helper in times of need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New lawyer Darren Tan once spent 10 years in jail PUBLISHED IN ST ON AUG 25, 2014 11:47 AM

I love to hear testimonies of God's transforming works in a person's life.  It encourages me & I hope when I post it here, it encourages you too!    Mr Darren Tan with his proud parents - Mr Tan Chon Kiat and Madam Ong Ai Hock. The new lawyer changed the course of his life while he was behind bars.  BY CHANG AI-LIEN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT Darren Tan, 35, is finally a full-fledged lawyer. He reached that milestone yesterday when he was called to the Bar during a mass ceremony at Nanyang Technological University. It was a far cry from his shaky start in life when drugs and gang activities led to over 10 years behind bars and 19 strokes of the cane. "This is the culmination of what I've been working towards for the last 10 years," he told The Sunday Times. "It's like waking up from a dream and finding out your dream has become reality." His life of crime began at the age of 14, and he was in and out of prison for offences that ...

ASK, SEEK & KNOCK

Below is a sharing by a christian friend:- ASK: I got up early one morning & rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray. Problems just tumbled about me and heavier came each task;'Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He said,"But you didn't ask." I wanted to see joy & beauty but the day toiled on, gray & bleak; I wondered why God didn't show me. He said,"But you didn't seek." I tried to come into God's presence; I used all my keys at the lock. God gently & lovingly chided "My child, you didn't knock," I woke up this morning and paused before entering the day. I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.  My friend's experience reminded me of a quote by Martin Luther :  “I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”

Salt of the earth

Matthew 5:13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. David Wilkerson : Jesus made a definitive statement that we are to be the salt of the earth . Does your life create a thirst for Christ to those around you? Does it provoke a desire to be healed? Can people point to your life and see the full expression of who God is? When we are half-hearted towards God, or in compromise, those around us will not be able to taste and see that the Lord is good. Today God is reaching out His hand to every Christian who is living in sin and He wants to bring you into the victory of the cross. This message urges us that there is a window of opportunity open by God to be salt and light to a lost generation but we, you, must make the break. We are the plan of God for the world. We are the salt and healing for this generation. I like this illustratio...