Skip to main content

Hearing God (silent retreat)....Part 1

Just went for a silent retreat. The purpose of this retreat is to tune out the world and other distracting thoughts by spending time to hear God. We were told to fight the urge to plan.

Inititally I came to the retreat with just one agenda, Lord, shows me the "BEATITUDE". However, I was told to just relax, don't try too hard. Just welcome the silence and let the Spirit leads you.

Thus after the worship lesson, I told God that I will just allow Him to take over. I decided to take a nap, relax and set my watch alarm at 12.00. Then I went for my lunch, not knowing how the Spirit will lead me.

While eating lunch, I saw two sparrows, and I told God, "I wasn't there when you create the earth. How about telling me about your Creation?". I take a walk and open the Bible and read from the Book of Genesis. v1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. v2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. I read this verse again, and God seemed to tell me, isn't this your condition? Before you know me, you were without form, nothing desirable to be seen. You were void and empty and there is no light in you but just darkness.

The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. I started to understand this on the second day when I introduce Christ to the two aunties who were helping in the kitchen. I broke the silence and I told them that they can come to know God by trying out this prayer. There is one night that I just pray : "I don't know who you are, but if you are the true God, lead me to know you". At this point, God reminded me that this was the time that the Spirit of God got into me....It was hovering over me eagerly waiting for an opportunity and when I pray to Him, I invited Him in and then God said : Let there be light....and there was light.

Praise God!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New lawyer Darren Tan once spent 10 years in jail PUBLISHED IN ST ON AUG 25, 2014 11:47 AM

I love to hear testimonies of God's transforming works in a person's life.  It encourages me & I hope when I post it here, it encourages you too!    Mr Darren Tan with his proud parents - Mr Tan Chon Kiat and Madam Ong Ai Hock. The new lawyer changed the course of his life while he was behind bars.  BY CHANG AI-LIEN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT Darren Tan, 35, is finally a full-fledged lawyer. He reached that milestone yesterday when he was called to the Bar during a mass ceremony at Nanyang Technological University. It was a far cry from his shaky start in life when drugs and gang activities led to over 10 years behind bars and 19 strokes of the cane. "This is the culmination of what I've been working towards for the last 10 years," he told The Sunday Times. "It's like waking up from a dream and finding out your dream has become reality." His life of crime began at the age of 14, and he was in and out of prison for offences that ...

ASK, SEEK & KNOCK

Below is a sharing by a christian friend:- ASK: I got up early one morning & rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray. Problems just tumbled about me and heavier came each task;'Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He said,"But you didn't ask." I wanted to see joy & beauty but the day toiled on, gray & bleak; I wondered why God didn't show me. He said,"But you didn't seek." I tried to come into God's presence; I used all my keys at the lock. God gently & lovingly chided "My child, you didn't knock," I woke up this morning and paused before entering the day. I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.  My friend's experience reminded me of a quote by Martin Luther :  “I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”

God is watching

I heard this true story during one of our home meeting. I find this story very touching and decided to put it in my blog as an encouragement to those who are faithfully taking care of their loved one. You are not alone, God is watching our every action. A sister in china shared that while her husband was in coma,she read some scriptures from the new testament to him daily and after each reading, she will pat her husband on his shoulder and say "amen" on his behalf. She did this faithfully for ten years. One day, while doing the regular reading, she suddenly heard a loud "Amen" and it came from none other but her husband. God has honoured our sister by showing mercy to her husband and while he was still in coma, his spirit is still very much alive. It is a good reminder to me not to belittle what we are doing for others. When we have a heart, God will show mercy to those whom we are praying and taking care.