Skip to main content

The names of God

Yahweh / Jehovah: to exist, be (Exodus 3:14-15)
YHVH comes from the Hebrew verb "to be" and is the special name that God revealed to Moses at the burning bush. Therefore, YHVH declares God's absolute being - the source of everything, without beginning and without end.

God replied to Moses, “I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you.” God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you. This is my eternal name, my name to remember for all generations.


§ Yahweh Jireh: The Lord will provide (Genesis 22:14)
o Abraham named the place Yahweh-Yireh (which means “the Lord will provide”). To this day, people still use that name as a proverb: “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”


§ Yahweh Nissi: He is your Victory (Exodus 17:15)
o Moses built an altar there and named it Yahweh-nissi (which means “the Lord is my banner”).


§ Yahweh Shalom: He is your Peace (Judges 6:24)

o And Gideon built an altar to the Lord there and named it Yahweh-Shalom (which means “the Lord is peace”). The altar remains in Ophrah in the land of the clan of Abiezer to this day.


§ Yahweh Sabbaoth: He is your Deliverer (1 Samuel 17:45)

o David replied to the Philistine, “You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies—the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.



§ Yahweh Mekaddesh: He makes you Holy (Exodus 31:13)

o “Tell the people of Israel: ‘Be careful to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you from generation to generation. It is given so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.



§ Yahweh Ro’i: The Lord my Shepherd (Psalm 23:1)

o The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.



§ Yahweh Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness. (Jeremiah 23:6)

o And this will be his name: ‘The Lord Is Our Righteousness.’ In that day Judah will be saved, and Israel will live in safety.



§ Yahweh Shammah: The Lord is there (Ezekiel 48:35)

o “The distance around the entire city will be 6 miles. And from that day the name of the city will be ‘The Lord Is There.’”



§ Yahweh Rophe: The Lord Who Heals (Exodus 15:26)

o He said, “If you will listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his sight, obeying his commands and keeping all his decrees, then I will not make you suffer any of the diseases I sent on the Egyptians; for I am the Lord who heals you.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New lawyer Darren Tan once spent 10 years in jail PUBLISHED IN ST ON AUG 25, 2014 11:47 AM

I love to hear testimonies of God's transforming works in a person's life.  It encourages me & I hope when I post it here, it encourages you too!    Mr Darren Tan with his proud parents - Mr Tan Chon Kiat and Madam Ong Ai Hock. The new lawyer changed the course of his life while he was behind bars.  BY CHANG AI-LIEN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT Darren Tan, 35, is finally a full-fledged lawyer. He reached that milestone yesterday when he was called to the Bar during a mass ceremony at Nanyang Technological University. It was a far cry from his shaky start in life when drugs and gang activities led to over 10 years behind bars and 19 strokes of the cane. "This is the culmination of what I've been working towards for the last 10 years," he told The Sunday Times. "It's like waking up from a dream and finding out your dream has become reality." His life of crime began at the age of 14, and he was in and out of prison for offences that ...

ASK, SEEK & KNOCK

Below is a sharing by a christian friend:- ASK: I got up early one morning & rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray. Problems just tumbled about me and heavier came each task;'Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He said,"But you didn't ask." I wanted to see joy & beauty but the day toiled on, gray & bleak; I wondered why God didn't show me. He said,"But you didn't seek." I tried to come into God's presence; I used all my keys at the lock. God gently & lovingly chided "My child, you didn't knock," I woke up this morning and paused before entering the day. I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.  My friend's experience reminded me of a quote by Martin Luther :  “I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”

God is watching

I heard this true story during one of our home meeting. I find this story very touching and decided to put it in my blog as an encouragement to those who are faithfully taking care of their loved one. You are not alone, God is watching our every action. A sister in china shared that while her husband was in coma,she read some scriptures from the new testament to him daily and after each reading, she will pat her husband on his shoulder and say "amen" on his behalf. She did this faithfully for ten years. One day, while doing the regular reading, she suddenly heard a loud "Amen" and it came from none other but her husband. God has honoured our sister by showing mercy to her husband and while he was still in coma, his spirit is still very much alive. It is a good reminder to me not to belittle what we are doing for others. When we have a heart, God will show mercy to those whom we are praying and taking care.