Skip to main content

Kimchi equivalent to "cheese"

Koreans will utter "kimchi" (a super-spicy Koreans' favorite condiment) instead of cheese when they get their pictures taken.

In the past, I do not appreciate this dish but after attending the DIY kimchi making in Dae Jang Guem Kimchi School, my perspective has changed. We were told that Kimchi which comprises reddish fermented cabbage (and sometimes radish) with a mix of garlic, salt, vinegar, chilli peppers, and other spices - has been named among the top 5 World's healthiest food.

The biggest benefit of this dish perhaps is the “healthy bacteria” called lactobacilli, found in fermented foods like kimchi and yogurt. This good bacteria helps with digestion and it also seems to help stop and even prevent yeast infections.

This dish can also be kept for a very long period and still stays fresh. I was told that if properly kept, it can last up to a period of one year. The garlic and vinegar are natural preservatives that keep the raw vegetables and fruits tasting great. It is also a convenient food, and very easily to nibble on when cut into pieces. The Korean hardly fry their foods and mostly ate cold vegetables but with hot rice and soup. This may be the reason the Koreans are slim, healthy and strong.



Spiritual reflection:

I greatly admired our tour leader, a Korean lady and though she is forty years old, her energy level is comparable to the guy. She told us the Koreans are very particular in their diet. From young, they eat ginseng and they have kimchi almost every meal.

Likewise, if we want to be healthy and strong spiritually, we need to feast on the wholesome Word of God every day which is able to energise us and save us to the uttermost.

Comments

  1. Hi Iris,But somehow until now I still don't quite like kimchi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New lawyer Darren Tan once spent 10 years in jail PUBLISHED IN ST ON AUG 25, 2014 11:47 AM

I love to hear testimonies of God's transforming works in a person's life.  It encourages me & I hope when I post it here, it encourages you too!    Mr Darren Tan with his proud parents - Mr Tan Chon Kiat and Madam Ong Ai Hock. The new lawyer changed the course of his life while he was behind bars.  BY CHANG AI-LIEN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT Darren Tan, 35, is finally a full-fledged lawyer. He reached that milestone yesterday when he was called to the Bar during a mass ceremony at Nanyang Technological University. It was a far cry from his shaky start in life when drugs and gang activities led to over 10 years behind bars and 19 strokes of the cane. "This is the culmination of what I've been working towards for the last 10 years," he told The Sunday Times. "It's like waking up from a dream and finding out your dream has become reality." His life of crime began at the age of 14, and he was in and out of prison for offences that ...

ASK, SEEK & KNOCK

Below is a sharing by a christian friend:- ASK: I got up early one morning & rushed right into the day. I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray. Problems just tumbled about me and heavier came each task;'Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He said,"But you didn't ask." I wanted to see joy & beauty but the day toiled on, gray & bleak; I wondered why God didn't show me. He said,"But you didn't seek." I tried to come into God's presence; I used all my keys at the lock. God gently & lovingly chided "My child, you didn't knock," I woke up this morning and paused before entering the day. I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.  My friend's experience reminded me of a quote by Martin Luther :  “I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”

God is watching

I heard this true story during one of our home meeting. I find this story very touching and decided to put it in my blog as an encouragement to those who are faithfully taking care of their loved one. You are not alone, God is watching our every action. A sister in china shared that while her husband was in coma,she read some scriptures from the new testament to him daily and after each reading, she will pat her husband on his shoulder and say "amen" on his behalf. She did this faithfully for ten years. One day, while doing the regular reading, she suddenly heard a loud "Amen" and it came from none other but her husband. God has honoured our sister by showing mercy to her husband and while he was still in coma, his spirit is still very much alive. It is a good reminder to me not to belittle what we are doing for others. When we have a heart, God will show mercy to those whom we are praying and taking care.