Skip to main content

Salt of the earth

Matthew 5:13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.



David Wilkerson : Jesus made a definitive statement that we are to be the salt of the earth. Does your life create a thirst for Christ to those around you? Does it provoke a desire to be healed? Can people point to your life and see the full expression of who God is? When we are half-hearted towards God, or in compromise, those around us will not be able to taste and see that the Lord is good. Today God is reaching out His hand to every Christian who is living in sin and He wants to bring you into the victory of the cross. This message urges us that there is a window of opportunity open by God to be salt and light to a lost generation but we, you, must make the break. We are the plan of God for the world. We are the salt and healing for this generation.


I like this illustration taken from a website : "the sea is full of salt but it is only extracted through the process of boiling (removing the water to retain the salt). I do not like the idea of going through fiery trials, but if that's what it takes to recapture the "salt" in my life, than maybe I'm okay with that. What I've learned is that God is not the destroyer in this life. He said the thief comes to kill, steal, and destroy. John 10:10 God is not the thief. God is the "Restorer" of broken lives and broken hearts.  The boiling process will either prove or disprove the amount of salt contained in a substance. In the same way, the trials of life will either prove our lives are flavored by God or they will reveal how much we truly lack. Either way, if handled correctly, the end result can be beneficial. For the one, their revelation of Jesus Christ and His grace and faithfulness will increase; for the other, a realization of their small faith can push them to a deeper relationship with God because despite their lack, He remains faithful. The only problem is: God has left the "salt containers" (you and I) to decide." "So dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad - for these trials make you partners with Christ [and what He went through], so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing His glory when it is revealed to all the world." (1 Peter 4:12-13).  I have learned I can’t always control the trials I face, but I am the keeper of my "salt." Will I be bitter or better? Less seasoned or more flavorful? Will I disappear into the background or stand out as an overcomer?


Prayer:

Dear lord, we surrender our life to you.  I declare that I am the salt of the earth in Matthew 5:13.  May my life create a thirst for you to all  you have put in my path.  Take me, mould me and use me so that my neighbours will be able to taste and see that the Lord is good. Examine the hearts of all your children and cleanse and purge us. Grant us obedience. May our life be a blessing. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New lawyer Darren Tan once spent 10 years in jail PUBLISHED IN ST ON AUG 25, 2014 11:47 AM

I love to hear testimonies of God's transforming works in a person's life.  It encourages me & I hope when I post it here, it encourages you too!    Mr Darren Tan with his proud parents - Mr Tan Chon Kiat and Madam Ong Ai Hock. The new lawyer changed the course of his life while he was behind bars.  BY CHANG AI-LIEN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT Darren Tan, 35, is finally a full-fledged lawyer. He reached that milestone yesterday when he was called to the Bar during a mass ceremony at Nanyang Technological University. It was a far cry from his shaky start in life when drugs and gang activities led to over 10 years behind bars and 19 strokes of the cane. "This is the culmination of what I've been working towards for the last 10 years," he told The Sunday Times. "It's like waking up from a dream and finding out your dream has become reality." His life of crime began at the age of 14, and he was in and out of prison for offences that

He giveth more grace - a hymn by Annie J. Flint (1866-1932)

The author of the poem, Annie Johnson Flint, suffered with arthritis for 40 years. But that terrible affliction did not embitter her. And out of the crucible of her suffering came a new and beautiful understanding of the meaning of guidance expressed in these lovely words: "He giveth more grace" Tonight we sang this hymn and the lyrics are as follows:- He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater, He sendeth more strength as our labors increase; To added afflictions He addeth His mercy, To multiplied trials he multiplies peace. When we have exhausted our store of endurance, When our strength has failed ere the day is half done, When we reach the end of our hoarded resources Our Father’s full giving is only begun. His love has no limits, His grace has no measure, His power no boundary known unto men; For out of His infinite riches in Jesus He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again. The second stanza is experienced by many christians. We always come to a point where our en

Are we willing to serve?

Today, the topic for our children's meeting is "others can count on me to serve them". This meeting is to help the children learn the importance of serving others. There is no need to teach them to think of themselves first because it comes naturally. The sister started the meeting by asking the children a question: Are we willing to serve others or we prefer to take care of our own needs? Most children answered sometimes serving others and sometimes more on their own needs. Similary, we were also asked the same questions. My answer is the same as most of the children. But while I was still pondering over the answer, I realised that I serve others at my convenience. I remember about the story of how Jesus fed the five thousand in Mark 6:30-44 30The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. 31Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat , he said to them, "Come with me by yo