Skip to main content

My autism son was baptized!

A sister's testimony:

"Praise The Lord for allowing me to share this testimony. My youngest son Judd was diagnosed with mild to moderate autism a year after we moved here to Singapore. As a mother, the reality of my son's condition was a painful truth that I had to accept. Among my many concerns, one of the biggest was whether Judd would be able to come to know The Lord Jesus Christ and be saved....
Judd went through therapy, special education and by the grace of our Lord, was introduced to home schooling. We found a centre where Judd goes to study Christian education and learn God's Word. Judd also grew up attending the meetings here, and through the love of the serving ones and the saints who ministered to him, he also started to thrive.
One manifestation of Judd's condition as a child with special needs is his lack of communication skills. I had a challenging time understanding him and and also was not sure whether he understood me. Whenever I prayed to The Lord about this, I would be in tears and would ask The Lord to speak to Judd in his spirit so that even if Judd and I cannot fully understand each other, the most important thing is for Judd to understand and hear The Lord speak to him. I prayed for Judd to be able to communicate with The Lord and to receive Jesus Christ into his life as his Lord and Savior some day.
The Lord answered my prayer one very special day when I took Judd with me to the airport to meet his father who was arriving that day. On our way to the airport, we had to take the bus to the MRT, and he dropped his ez link card. When we realized that he lost his ez link card, I was angry and scolded him for losing the card. I saw the fear in his eyes but was more concerned with the loss of the card than his feelings. Thankfully, a man picked up his card and was returning it to the MRT while we were still there and so we were able to get the card back. Judd was visibly relieved and happy, even saying "We found it" excitedly while I was still upset although inwardly relieved that the card was found. At the platform and while waiting for the train to arrive, Judd, who also had issues with eye contact, suddenly turned to me, looked straight into my eyes and said, "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful" and continued to say "Luke 6:36." I was so shocked that I could only say "Ok Judd, I forgive you!" After which he then continued with "Esteem them very highly in love, 1 Thessalonians 5:13," which was when I broke down and cried, knowing that The Lord indeed had used Judd to shame and expose me of my hard heart, and to show me that even with Judd's condition he can understand and apply the words of God to the situation so appropriately. I repented before The Lord while on the way to the airport, at the same time so full of joy that The Lord indeed can speak to Judd and make him understand His words and even apply the verses correctly! His words are indeed life to all of us, special needs or not.
Another time I was also doing homework with Judd and my patience was running out. Judd sensed my voice rising, and while writing with tears in his eyes he softly said "A soft answer stops anger, Proverbs 15:1." Again, The Lord used His words spoken through Judd to expose me of my short temper...I prayed and asked The Lord to enlarge my heart to love my son unconditionally just as The Lord loves me with His unconditional love....
Just last year, my older son wanted to be baptized when we were back in Manila. With joyful hearts we made arrangements for it. As we gathered on the day of his baptism, we asked Judd if he also wanted to be baptized. Without hesitation Judd answered "yes!" When we asked him who loved him the most, he replied "Lord Jesus" and when we asked him where Lord Jesus is, he said "In my heart."
We read some verses on Baptism, then had a short fellowship, and we prayed together. Afterwards, both my older son and Judd were baptized. It was one of the most joyful days of my life, and I want to give all the glory, thanksgiving and praises to our Heavenly Father and Lord Jesus Christ, our Savior Who saved my whole family and specially Judd and continues to work mightily in his life until today!"
------------------------------------------------------------------
John 9:1-3
As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New lawyer Darren Tan once spent 10 years in jail PUBLISHED IN ST ON AUG 25, 2014 11:47 AM

I love to hear testimonies of God's transforming works in a person's life.  It encourages me & I hope when I post it here, it encourages you too!    Mr Darren Tan with his proud parents - Mr Tan Chon Kiat and Madam Ong Ai Hock. The new lawyer changed the course of his life while he was behind bars.  BY CHANG AI-LIEN SENIOR CORRESPONDENT Darren Tan, 35, is finally a full-fledged lawyer. He reached that milestone yesterday when he was called to the Bar during a mass ceremony at Nanyang Technological University. It was a far cry from his shaky start in life when drugs and gang activities led to over 10 years behind bars and 19 strokes of the cane. "This is the culmination of what I've been working towards for the last 10 years," he told The Sunday Times. "It's like waking up from a dream and finding out your dream has become reality." His life of crime began at the age of 14, and he was in and out of prison for offences that

He giveth more grace - a hymn by Annie J. Flint (1866-1932)

The author of the poem, Annie Johnson Flint, suffered with arthritis for 40 years. But that terrible affliction did not embitter her. And out of the crucible of her suffering came a new and beautiful understanding of the meaning of guidance expressed in these lovely words: "He giveth more grace" Tonight we sang this hymn and the lyrics are as follows:- He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater, He sendeth more strength as our labors increase; To added afflictions He addeth His mercy, To multiplied trials he multiplies peace. When we have exhausted our store of endurance, When our strength has failed ere the day is half done, When we reach the end of our hoarded resources Our Father’s full giving is only begun. His love has no limits, His grace has no measure, His power no boundary known unto men; For out of His infinite riches in Jesus He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again. The second stanza is experienced by many christians. We always come to a point where our en

Are we willing to serve?

Today, the topic for our children's meeting is "others can count on me to serve them". This meeting is to help the children learn the importance of serving others. There is no need to teach them to think of themselves first because it comes naturally. The sister started the meeting by asking the children a question: Are we willing to serve others or we prefer to take care of our own needs? Most children answered sometimes serving others and sometimes more on their own needs. Similary, we were also asked the same questions. My answer is the same as most of the children. But while I was still pondering over the answer, I realised that I serve others at my convenience. I remember about the story of how Jesus fed the five thousand in Mark 6:30-44 30The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. 31Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat , he said to them, "Come with me by yo